There and back again: A Wheatie's tale

This blog is completely and totally for my Wheaton in England (WiE) summer trip.

My Photo
Name:
Location: IL, United States

Monday, July 10, 2006

Walter Hooper

Yesterday was wonderful. I went to chruch at St. Ebbe's, afterwhich I went to Blackwell's Bookshop. That was an amazing experience; you walk into a small storefront and it shocks you to see how large it is. 3 floors and a basement with enough books to dazzel anyone except, maybe, the librarian of a copywrite library. I bought two books on Oxford: one is a breif touristic one and the other a longer history of Oxford. I also got another book which translates as the Guide to Achoresses with a preface by Tolkien. It is a lovely book (I fell asleep reading it last night).
After I returned and ate lunch, we went on a walk through Port Meadow to Binsey to see St. Margaret's Well. I almost wanted to stay in Port Meadow it was so lovely. The Isis (Thames) runs through it and it is a free-grazing area too.
We returned to St. Anne's and ate dinner; many people left early to watch the World Cup final (Yay Italy!). I watched a bit, but left to do homework (You should be proud of me!) and to sleep.
Today has also been wonderful. In Shakespeare we began King Lear and in CS Lewis, Walter Hooper came and spoke to us.
Afterwards we all went to lunch and Daniel and I had the good fortune to sit near Mr. Hooper and talk with him. He asked Daniel about 'what [he] was reading' and 'if [he] had published anything.' Daniel said that he had not published anything, and Mr. Hooper gave him is card and told him to write him when he had written his first book. I also got to ask him about J.R.R. Tolkien and it turns out that he was a good friend of his and also, currently of his family. I was very excited to talk with him.


Today is still not done. I have some reading to do in Lear and I need to work on papers also. Another thing is that I need to find a post office and perhaps go shopping a bit.

Weather Report: It has been drizzling all day. I love it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home